Translate

Friday 20 July 2018

A Reset?

I think I've mentioned in a previous post I would never have been a good nurse. Frank has had more than his share of health issues over the years, including two serious illnesses. For the less serious health issues, I was rarely a good caregiver, either letting him fend for himself or helping out begrudgingly. When he had the second serious illness in 2015, it turned my thinking upside down, as I truly thought I might lose him. I have since done my utmost ... and more again, since ttwd ... to make sure he stays healthy and feels cared for. 

So why am I blabbering on about this again? ... the other day we were on the deck, having our late afternoon sit down ... where we share a glass of wine, a chat, catch up on our day and sometimes, read 'the blogs'. What exactly Frank said is a blur but I can give you the gist of it ... a blogger had written about having surgery and how her HoH wasn't stepping up to the mark re caring for her. Frank's words went something like this ... 

"Did you read this?" ... he mentions the blog ... 

Me ... "yup", 

Frank ...  "that guy sounds just like you", <grin>

Whump!! ... my heart imploded ... and a roil of emotions blew through me. I couldn't believe what I just heard! Without saying a word, I gathered my iPad, my wine glass, got out of my chair, turned  on my heel and left for the kitchen to return my glass. .... How could he say that?! ... I have been trying so hard!

"Nora Jean ... get ... back ... here" .... that was his "no nonsense" voice speaking ... 

... by the time I reached the sink, I was trembling all over ... 

"Nora Jee-ean? .... don't walk away" ... the lift in his voice at the end of 'Jean' made it a two syllable word

"You need talk to me, Babygirl" ... now he's on the move ... 

I can't talk ... I can barely breathe .... How could he say that?! How could he say that?! ... the phrase was on repeat in my brain as I leaned over the sink

He came up behind me, pulling me back into him ... "I'm sorry, I'm sorry ... it was a joke ... I didn't mean it the way it sounded" 

I turned into him ... "I try very hard to take good care of you .... I know I didn't before but I have been trying to not be that person any more" ... by now I am crying 

"You do take very good care of me, you do and I know and see it. I might not be here without you" ... he is speaking softly, stroking my hair, wiping my tears ... "I was talking about before, not now" 

"I feel so guilty about how I was before ... and I've tried so hard since ... What you said didn't sound like before. It sounded like you were talking about now and that hurt, really hurt" 

"I am very sorry ... I didn't mean that way" ... he's holding my face in his hands ... "Look at me" ... making sure my eyes are on his, he repeats ... "Look at me ... I'm sorry" .... he pulls me in and holds me close, rubbing my back for a minute or two 

Then pulling back he is holding my face again .... "something else is going on ... you've been on edge all day ... you need to tell me what it is"

"I hate going away without you" ... I am leaving in the morning for a down one day, back the next, trip to the city for an appointment. It's not the type of trip I like to take at the best of times, less so on my own, so I have been fussed about it all day, snappish  and out of sorts. 

"I know you do ... and I hate having to stay here without you. It'll be quick. You'll be back home before you know it" ... he pulls me back in ... "Are we good?"

I nod into his shoulder

After a moment, he breaks away, grabbing my hand and tugging ... "I need this and so do you" ... he is pulling me towards and then into the bedroom, closing the door behind him.

"Pants down" ... I comply pushing down my jeans and panties ...

"All the way off", he says. I kick them off ...

"Arms up" ... he has my tee and bra off all in one move, then his hand is at the back of my neck, pushing me down into and over the side of the bed ... "spread your legs" ... 

Smack! ... his hand lands hard on my right cheek ... then my left - Smack! ... and Smack! Smack!, a repeat of the same ... 

And then I hear the buckle clink ... lately his old belt has taken up residence on his side table, innocuously looped as if dropped there. I get to pass by it every time I go into the bedroom. 



It is a new favourite ... for both of us ... although, when he puts some weight behind it, he has me dancing. And dancing is soon what I'm doing now. 

When he's done ... and I don't know how many or how long but I do know it hurt like hell! ... he pulls me back up and into his arms and repeats softly  ... "are we good?" 

"Yes", I whisper ...

Later we talk ... we agree, in the past, what happened would have meant a big blowup, followed by a 'who knows how long' period of anger and silence. This time we dealt with it, in the here and now, clearing the air of our immediate differences and for me, erasing the guilt for past behaviours I now knew I'd been holding onto.

This was a first for us ... I am guessing it was what all you more experienced folks out there call 'a reset' ... a most appropriate term 

24 comments:

  1. NJ,
    Lots of feeling in this one. The quicker the reset can happen after a very emotional misunderstanding, the quicker we get through and over what caused it. Sounds like your guy handled you in an efficient and thorough manner. It's really good you guys settled it all before you left. Now...... how did things go upon your return? I can only imagine! Hugs! Windy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Windy, for the reset advice. Frank handled things well. He is almost always calm, cool and collected (I'm the one that gets crazy brain) ... and my return was the best part of the trip ;)) ... nj ... xx

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love this story. You describe that feeling of just being blindsided by grief and hurt so well. As someone with a less than stellar history of care-giving for minor sicknesses, I can appreciate how you felt. I'm so glad he stuck with you all the way through reconnecting. Sweet. :) And there's nothing quite like the smack of leather...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you appreciated the telling of the story and could empathize with the feelings ... and my lack of caregiver genes ;) He is a pretty level headed guy. And yes, leather is my favourite ... altho' that belt is taking some getting used to but then again maybe that's a good thing ;) ... nj

      Delete
  3. I feel for you. Similar things have happened here in the past as well. Whatever B says seems to be put on auto repeat in my mind too. After he usually comes to me and says " that isn't what I meant".. followed by, " but that is what you said!". And ALWAYS he ends with, " Guys say stupid stuff". LOL. True.

    I'd say you had your first reset. So Congrats! Especially as Frank was quick to administer it. Here is hoping this experience leads to preemptive ones, where feelings don't get as crushed (and both sides aren't initially wondering 'how the heck did this moment turn into that? " LOL. )

    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pre-emptive ... I think maybe we've done that already but maybe not called it that ... kinda like preventive medicine? ... nj

      Delete
  4. Yay for resets. Love them.

    It is a little alarming to me that I recognise the beginning of what could have been a much much worse scenario. Guy says something as a joke. Girl has been feeling on edge so gets hurts. Runs away. (And this is where it branches off...) Guy says aww it was a joke. Girl shuts down. Festers. Puts another brick on the wall she has built up around herself. Girl reappears on the horizon composed. Guy thinks nothing's wrong, she's over it. Life goes on. But it DOESN'T go on - not in the same way. Ever. Rinse and repeat - and pretty soon somewhere down the line you have a huge blowup. And everything gets regurgitated.

    So that bit where he came to find you? Perfect.
    That bit where you didn't just say, I'm fine. Whatever, I know you were joking? Perfect.
    That bit where he recognises it's more than just this little remark? Perfect.

    And that last bit with the reset - that's the end of this chapter and the next one will begin on a spanking new page. Pun intended!

    I love how you both handled this! I really do.

    Have a safe trip and yes, soon you will be back with Frank and all will be right again. You'll see. *HUGS*

    (Sorry about the long comment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fondles ... love your long comment. I made it there and back in one piece and had a nice visit with an old friend. The bad news is I have to do it all again next month plus a couple more times in the Fall ... those trips might require the pre-emptive resets Willie talked about ;)) ... nj

      Delete
  5. Honestly...thank goodness for resets, they truly serve a purpose in what we do. This situation has happened in our home and I/we always feel better afterwards.
    I love reading how you and Frank are rolling along in this new life of yours. Your posts show such love for each other and ttwd seems to have been a natural and positive extension of it all. This one makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurel, for your kind words. My blog was named very specifically with our relationship in mind. We love each other deeply and I'm happy to hear it shows ... nj

      Delete
  6. You are so lucky this happened after TTWD and that you were able to address it at once. Nick said something once that I know he thought was completely innocent. In my head I know he never meant to hurt my feeling, but he said it over thirty-seven YEARS ago and it's effects still last. I wish it could have been wiped away with his belt when it happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PK ... Maybe it's not too late to wipe it away now. I never realized how guilty I felt about what happened in the past until our episode on Monday night. It just came out. And that guilt was from a collection of things I did over a period of many years ... I once had a Vegas trip planned with girlfriends. Frank had a hand surgery date get moved up to just before I was due to leave ... did I cancel my plans? ... nope ... I just made sure he had an electric can opener on hand so he could eat ... yes, kinda funny in hindsight but I'm pretty sure that's the type of thing he was thinking of when he made the comment. Old wounds can be healed but the hardest part is you've gotta be able to tell Nick about it ... hugs ... nj

      Delete
  7. NJ, this is a fine example of the benefits of a ttwd life. Frank didn’t let you wallow in misery. He came after you and knew just what to do to mend the hurt you were feeling and, at the same time, say goodbye to your guilt from the past.

    Nothing sets my world to right better than a reset, though they’re pretty rare five years in.

    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie ... It was pretty amazing in hindsight ... kinda painful in the moment but the end result was truly a validation of our decision to go down the ttwd path ... hugs ... nj

      Delete
  8. NJ,
    Wow.......... this is one hot post and I loved it. Nothing hurts like words and it takes a lot of talking and yes, a reset to make it smooth again. These guys know it and once they experience the benefits of the reset, they are quick and definite to use it. Excellent post and right now, my favorite!!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a growth moment for us both, Meredith. Happy to hear you appreciated the post - hot and excellent is good! ;)) ... nj

      Delete
  9. Hi Nora Jean, Nice post. Glad things got sorted right away. have a safe trip.
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan ... made it down Tues and back Weds with a quick visit with a special friend in between. Unfortunately all to be redone a few more times over the next 2-3 months. More resets might be in order :) ... hugs ... nj

      Delete
  10. NJ,

    I had a bit of a deja vu reading this fine post. We had something exactly like this happen several weeks ago. I was so hurt and angry over something he said that I just could not let it go. I was crying and could not stop, even with his apology.

    It was a helluva spanking, but it put everything to rights. I was thinking about how to write it up, but you have done a masterful job of it already!

    Hugs From Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still want to hear your version, Ella ... you and Sam make great music together :)) ... hugs ... nj

      Delete
  11. Hi NJ, I'm so sorry you and Frank had this misunderstanding and am so glad you were able to resolve things and reconnect. That's the beauty of ttwd. Hurts no longer fester and we communicate so much better.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roz ... It resolved more than we could ever have anticipated it would.

      Hope all us going well with your new job ... hugs! ... nj

      Delete
  12. Does it sound bad that I'm glad you had this misunderstanding... ?? I am though because it brought out growth for both of you. Every time you are challenged and you navigate that you grow. He was an excellent HoH here and I'm glad you had that experience.
    I hope everything went well with your trip and that you can put it behind you.
    Sometimes even a reset after a stressful event is needed and if that's true for this experience then embrace that and do what's necessary. Every encounter is growth.
    Kudos to you!
    Jlynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it doesn't sound bad, Jlynne ... because it ended up being very good in that it also resolved some long standing feelings I was carrying around.

      Unfortunately the trip will be at least a once a month event thru to Fall so I might be needing a 'preemptive' reset as suggested in some of our fellow bloggers :) ... nj ... xx

      Delete