Translate

Wednesday 3 April 2019

Stop .... and Listen




Sometimes it's the smallest of incidents that remind us how far we've come with 'this thing we do'. Such an incident happened this past weekend ... 

On Sunday evening, we dropped in at our daughter and SiL's as his parents (we'll call them the OGP's - the other grandparents) were visiting from out of town. Spring Break was over and Monday would be back to school and work for all. It would also mean Frank and I would resume assisting with the before and after school childcare.  In conversation with 'the kids' (the adult kids), it had become apparent there were a couple of wrinkles in our normally smooth system, mostly to do with vehicle availability (due to age difference and other factors the three boys are in three different schools so bus and school drop offs and pick ups have to be coordinated).

Frank was sitting at the dining table with the OGP's. The adult kids were in and out of the open area kitchen/dining room, doing all things busy parents do the evening before a school and work day. I had come from the kitchen and was standing next to the table, facing Frank. The OGP's were sitting to my right and the kitchen was to my left. 

I can only surmise it was being in a social situation with casual acquaintances, faced with a logistics issue that had to be resolved before we left for home, plus my natural tendency to be a 'fixer', that caused me to be in full on former NJ mode, with nary a submissive thought in my head. I was soon busily 'telling' Frank how I thought things should unfold in the morning, when all of a sudden Frank spoke ... calmly, not loudly ... but there was no mistaking the tone ... it wasn't Dad Frank, it wasn't Grampa Frank or Friend Frank .... my forgotten submissive brain registered the tone immediately ... it was Dom Frank ... 

"You need to stop .. right now .. and listen" ... 

My brain halted, my spine straightened, my lips zipped. I didn't dare look left or right ... I know the tone I heard - what I didn't know was if the OGP's or the kids heard it the same way, or even if one or the other of the kids were still in their kitchen .... and I didn't want to know ... if I were to see some type of reaction in their faces, I wasn't sure how I would handle it. 

Frank continued speaking quietly to me, giving me his view of how we should proceed on Monday. I responded with ...

"May I offer an alternative ...." (my brain added the 'Sir' but thankfully my mouth didn't follow suit!) ... still engaging directly with that face right in front of me - not looking left or right. He nodded and I gave him my view. However, he then went on to point out I had missed an important factor, and I then agreed his view of what we should do would work best. I quietly pulled up the chair beside him, sat down and we carried on with our visit. 

The craziest thing about all of this was how calm and centred I felt - both at the moment of his interruption, and in our subsequent quiet conversation. His stopping me with that sentence, in that tone, didn't make me upset or angry - quite the opposite. I know exactly how the NJ of the alternative universe we used to live in would have responded ... it may not have been a full on confrontation in the company of guests, but there certainly would have been a sense of indignation and possibly anger on my part, at him interrupting me like that in front of others. 

When we got home I noted Frank did a bit of a check in by asking if all was ok with me. I cheerily replied yes, I was doing just fine. 

.... and then a few hours later I had to write this post ... still at bit amazed at how it all went down.

... nj


36 comments:

  1. Wow NJ. The love, power and awe that went into this post. It took boht of you. One to centre the ship and one willing to share it with us. :) Wow. Just what I needed to start my morning. Oh that centred feeling that we all crave. The contrast of salty/sweet, firm/soft, safe/yet perilously close to spanking. Beautifully written. Thanks.

    Hugs -- shell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww ... thanks, Shell. It was somewhat of a surreal experience :>) ... hugs! ... nj

      Delete
  2. Hi NJ, what a wonderful moment between you and Frank, and I very much doubt anyone else would have understood Frank's tone. Wow, a secret ttwd moment in public :)

    What a wonderful contrast to how this would have ended pre ttwd. I love that Frank checked in after you got home.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reassurance, Roz ... I asked Frank yesterday what he observed ... he said he thought it got 'a bit quiet' but said he wasn't really looking at anyone's reaction - just me :>) ... hugs! ... nj

      Delete
  3. I have had such moments....and they do make is stop , think. and yes, be thankful for the TTWD.....Hurrah for you! hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby ... it certainly did make me stop and think and then think again afterwards ... a lot :>) ... hugs! ... nj

      Delete
  4. What a lovely D/s moment. Thanks for sharing that. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Olivia! ... it was that kind of moment ... nj ... xx

      Delete
  5. I think we all have had moments like this. The look, the tone. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ronnie, altho' I think you hear that tone more than I do ... you seem to find trouble without looking for it - lol! ... hugs! ... nj

      Delete
  6. Hi, nj. I had a ‘listening’ occasion this morning. I have a bad back at the moment and Harry was telling me how to look after myself while he was at work. I interrupted him, saying I know the drill. He put his hands on my shoulders and said “Listen, this is a command,” before laying down the law. Once upon a time he would have got short shrift but, like you, I felt calm and centred. I think that might be another aspect of what Shell wrote about in her ‘Enough’ post.
    Thanks for sharing this.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Rosie ... I love that Harry is looking out for you ... and being dominant and all ... and that you are getting that submissive centred feeling in return ... make sure you mind him and take care of that back! ... nj ... xx

      Delete
  7. sometimes all it takes is a look or tone :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Terps ... I was certainly surprised by my reaction, given the frame of mind I was in at the time ... hugs ... nj

      Delete
  8. WOW! A very similar situation to the most recent post by Ronnie, except you were with company, so no spanking occurred. It is quite WONDERFUL that you and Frank, and other couples in TTWD have a way of solving a problem, without the earlier method you described. however, any consideration of thanking Frank for his tone and solving the problem, and now that you are home alone, being spanked for your almost bad behavior. It most likely will even have fun rewards afterwards
    bottoms up
    Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red ... No spanking occurred here after the fact. I think Frank figured he had made his point ... and he had. I did let him know how much I appreciated his 'taking charge' ... thanks for dropping by! ... nj

      Delete
  9. Wow awesome for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. good on you for listening.... I know how difficult that can be sometimes -- when we are on a 'roll' so to speak :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah ... me on a roll, never :>)) ... it's been one of the hardest things to get under control. As Frank likes to say ... it's not what you say, it's how you say it ... nj

      Delete
  11. I think I am jealous. My submission is MIA at the moment, for the last couple of weeks actually. I wish my Sheriff would listen to your Frank. Oh well....

    I am glad you had a blissful realization of how wonderful Frank can be and how calm you feel with him.

    Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you're in a bit of a down turn right now, Boo. It can be difficult. Hope you have a turnaround soon! ... nj

      Delete
  12. NJ,
    It truly is wonderful when we respond to our guys stepping in! I love how all this went down with you and Frank. Yeah, your spine stiffened all right....anything else stiffen? I bet your mind was spinning for that half second when you didn't know if anyone else heard what you heard in his voice. You responded beautifully though. So cute he checked on you when you got home, too. Sweet post!! Thanks for sharing a particularly memorable moment when you got it just right. Hugs, Windy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Windy, I had momentary reaction to the somewhat public manner in which it all came about. My mind just went to 'don't look, don't look' :>)) mostly because our kids, had they noticed, would have been a little dumbfounded at my non reaction. I wasn't terribly concerned about the guests as they don't know us all that well.
      Thanks for all your warm thoughts! ... Hugs! ... nj

      Delete
  13. I love, love, love those take charge moments when only you know he means business and you’d better start listening. Nothing like a show of dominance to get those juices flowing! Lol!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Laurel ... it was one of those moments, for sure! ... nj

      Delete
  14. yay hurray and i loved it! the clear calm tone that we recognise (and hope to god no one else does) as the DOM voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting to me, how my brain processed the tone ... my reaction was instantaneous, with not one bit of thought process other than some awareness others might have heard ... nj

      Delete
  15. NJ,
    When Jack and I get to the point where I feel his taking charge, I melt and know we are right where I want to be. I feel loved, protected and know that he will solve things in his own way. Great post.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your Jack makes you feel loved and cared for when he's taking charge, Meredith ... good to have you back! ... nj ... xx

      Delete
  16. For me those 'surprise' moments, or new place moments, when B says something it has a greater impact- way more than a spanking. Those stopping issues in their tracks is so beneficial. Here is to many more!

    Willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Willie, I agree ... sometimes the words mean so much more ... nj

      Delete
  17. This was such an everyday sort of situation for a married couple, but it showed so well how you and Frank have grown with ttwd. I love that Frank is confident enough now to tackle a little problem even in front of others. It always amazes me how our men seem to grow into this role so naturally.

    Loved this post, NJ :)

    Hugs From Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ella ... I have to admit, I am a little worried he'll get too comfortable tackling things in front of others :>)) ... there was a friendly little bum swat the other day in the presence of the eldest grandson (15) which resulted in a bit of a double take and a grin ... Yes, I think your Sam's lizard brain post was a great indicator of why it comes to them so naturally :>)) ... Hugs! ... nj

      Delete
  18. I love this nj and thank you for sharing. I think that when things happen as naturally as this did it is a really great sign of how far you have come. I would imagine that others notice the soft in power at times but as long as you are happy then they will see that as a positive. I love the Dom voice. ‘Shiver’ missy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Missy ... I love your phrase 'soft in power' and yes, the Dom voice ... when it (or the look) comes naturally out of nowhere (as opposed to the planned or expected) it gives me the biggest shivers :>)) ... nj ... xx

      Delete