Translate

Thursday 15 February 2018

Not a Girly Girl

Gahhhh! .... I just knew this was going to happen! 

Yesterday I sent Meredith's blog post on "Leaning In" to Frank, telling him it was an explanation of the leaning in comment I made in my A Spanko or Not a Spanko post. I can't remember my exact words but the gist of my verbal explanation as I sent the link, was that 'leaning in" represented my submission, my leaning into his will. I think I actually heard the light bulb go on in his brain! 



With a teasing smile he picked up my fingers in one hand and gently ran his thumb over my nails and said "hmmm .... do we want pink or do we want red?" .... my response to him was the opening statement in this post ... "Gahhhh! .... I just knew this was going to happen!"

You'll need the back story to this tale of woe .... I grew up in a family of boys in a neighbourhood of boys.  There was not a girl my age to be found until I was 9. I ran with all the boys and could climb a tree, swing on a rope swing, build a tree fort, wrestle, fart, spit and swear. The only thing I couldn't do was win a 'how far can you pee' contest ... which peed me off, pun intended :))


Being in a small town, buying clothes meant you shopped using those old faves, Eaton and Sears catalogues or someone made it for you. I remember having to wear itchy,  scratchy dresses with too much lace, when all I wanted were the jeans and a red and white checkered shirt from the catalogue and no one wore jeans in those days except the cowboys of my dreams. I know I must have worn dresses to school but to be honest, I can't remember a single detail about any of them. 

We moved to the big city when I was in my mid teens. I was a bit overwhelmed by the idea of malls, clothing stores and the like. I still knew very little about or ever wore  any makeup and I had never been allowed to pierce my ears. My hair was long, straight and half way down my back, as was the style. Luckily for me, casual dressing in cords and jeans was then the fashion.


This is the me my man fell in love with. He loved and demanded my fresh, no makeup look (he really was an HoH when we met). He had some reservations when I decided to pierce my ears. He was devastated (and not happy) when, not long after we married, I cut my hair short without consulting him

I did eventually find my style .... classic .... a lot of long slim lines, business suits, pencil skirts, light makeup and subtle jewellery. That lasted through my working life. In our life now, I almost always wear jeans or yoga pants and tees unless we are going out and then, I rarely wear dresses. Jean skirts and leggings are about as close as I get. I don't do nail polish because with my retired 'work' my hands are constantly in water. I am pretty much back to the attire of the tomboy I was years ago. 

Now I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but somewhere along the line, Frank evolved to expressing a desire to see me in flowing or flouncy dresses, with eye makeup, lipstick, nail polish and such. My response to these requests over the past few years has always been ... "I don't do girly. If you wanted a girly girl, you shouldn't have picked me!" 

I think this might be what he has in mind ....


On the drive to town the other day, he didn't say anything but again with a small smile, he picked up my hand and ran his thumb over my nails ... yeah, yeah ... I'm not going there! 

Now you see my dilemma ... Frank is teasing right now but my fear is, as we get further into the ttwd world, the teasing might turn into a more serious ask. So in anticipation of this, I'm asking ttwd blog land friends .... does your HoH make demands of you that you consider to be outside his ttwd domain and if so, do you submit to those demands? And when you do, how does it affect you?

16 comments:

  1. Hi Nora Jean, Can't help you here as no he doesn't. I will say though I do always dress with him in mind and I would never wear something if I knew he didn't like it. I often ask him if he wants we to wear anything in particular, sometimes he will voice an opinion but I am generally left to my own devices. Jeans? Never, give me a dress any day, lol. I imagine you are going to have to compromise and have girly days mixed in with the tomboy look.
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan ... I'm pretty sure you're right about the compromise ;) In advance, I've been window shopping online for long style 'bohemian' dresses. When the warmer weather arrives I figure I might be able to make that style work ... occasionally :)) ... xx ... nj

      Delete
  2. Sounds like something you are going to have to work out together. Maybe start with some very light pink nail polish...hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby ... we had that exact convo today. Frank, looking at my nails ... "you know I don't mind if it's clear or pink" Me ... raised eyebrows ... Frank ... after a bit of a stare down ... "It's time, Babe ... do your nails" ... and he walked away .... sighhhhh! I bought clear and pink :))) xx ... nj

      Delete
  3. Nora Jean,

    Loved hearing Frank's take on the state of your emerging ttwd life.

    What a great question!

    Our life is a combo...... of casual and dressed up and I like that. I love the wearing of leggings and my short dresses and I do wear jeans occasionally.

    The only thing thing Jack requires and which pleases me is the request of long hair. "Long hair" means a little shorter than my shoulder. The haircut by stylists cost money and he never regrets a penny. He notices what I wear and tells me when I look "cute".

    He notices, but never requires....... all except for my hair length. He notices my polished, short nails, my ever changing makeup and my shoes. He is paying attention. He loves when lace shows and encourages my spending on lingerie.

    Great question, again!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith ... I too have long hair (slightly below my shoulders) ... and it gets dyed every 4 weeks without fail ... no grey for me. Frank occasionally wonders what it might look like naturally grey but I'm pretty sure it's not one of those lovely white greys so the dye is here to stay ;)) ... nj

      Delete
  4. Wow you and I sound alike on this. You described my perfect outfit as a child. I wanted to dress like Timmy on Lassie. I'm retired too and I've worn a dress twice in the past 15 years. I don't think Nick ever thinks twice about what I wear. I try to look presentable when we go out. Think about having a pedicure. I just started this - never a manicure! But pedicures feel great and tell him you're getting your toes pretty for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PK ... Ahh, a fellow tomboy ... not only Lassie but The Rifleman and Gunsmoke ... I loved cowboys (Frank's a prairie boy ... the closest I could get to cowboy :))
      I do get a pedi every couple of months. And on my toes, I'm not at all shy about colour ... the flashier the better ... nj

      Delete
  5. Hi Nora Jean, :) Rob and I tend to compromise for the most part. I can pretty much do what I like to do, unless he specifically says something. I do like the mani/pedi in the summer. Rob loves me in jeans and sneakers. He says that he enjoys me without makeup. I like to put a bit on each day... not a lot though. Hair- he likes it on the longer side. I like to please him, so I keep it that way. At the moment it is below my shoulder blades, but I need a trim. The one area where we may run into trouble is when I get a bit more grey. He is for a natural look, and thinks it is sexy. I don't know what I think... yet. I am in my late 50's, and lucky to have very little grey. My mother always kept her hair dyed. So we will see what happens as time moves on...

    Abby has a great idea about the lighter polish. There are lots of choices there. Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie ... you are lucky with hair colour ... I have a sisIL who is my age and hasn't one bit of grey. And re finger nail polish ... see my response to Abby .... ha! I just knew in my heart of hearts, this was how this was going to unfold! ;)) ...nj

      Delete
  6. You can't be what you're not. Maybe you could pick a day or two each week where you 'meet' his wants. As for polish on nails, french is always good or a pale neutral color might be a good compromise. Pedicures - well the sky is the limit - color is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leigh ... good idea ... a professional French manicure might be something to put on my wish list.
      My man is pretty charming and persuasive ... and persistent ... it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds ;) ... nj

      Delete
  7. What a great post and a great question, NJ! Love getting to know your Frank. He sounds wonderful and full of mischief.

    I hated wearing dresses to school and especially Catholic school gray wool jumpers! I, too, was a tomboy. I think I started to be interested in clothes during my sexual awakening. Much more so when I met Sam.

    Sam always compliments me on clothes, now. He loves leggings and a short skirt and is quick to pay attention by sliding his hand up my thigh.

    Sunny says I am a girly girl. It is certainly true that I love to shop. Some days I can almost hear the shoe store calling my name. "Ella....we miss you....."

    Hugs From Ella Who Really Loves Shoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ella ... oh, make me weep! ... shoes! I loved my high heels but alas, no more. Many years of wearing heels wrecked my feet and now it's all about, orthos, low and often ugly. I do have a a mean pair of high boots ;)) ... nj

      Delete
  8. NJ, I can't believe how many of the gals were/are tomboys!!!! Holy cow, this is what I posted about today, as you know. Wow. And the long hair.. This blows my mind. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know ... I kinda laughed and went 'wow!' as well, when I read your post :>)) ... nj ... xx

      Delete