Translate

Friday 23 February 2018

Slowly but surely ...

 ... is it Friday yet?! ...  it's been crazy time in our household this week between a couple of daycare days for kiddos, coordinating a big project for my work and a household project or two we, (ok, mostly Frank), have decided to tackle. 

Consequently, we've both been very busy, up and at it early, each doing our own thing. By the end of the day, I often found myself grumpy and out of sorts, feeling a bit disconnected from Frank. I didn't want to bug him as he was tired and just wanted to chill. I'd find myself questioning ... are we still doing this thing we do, together, or are we back to our old 'normal'? Frank would notice, ask what was wrong (and caution me that I needed to be truthful) but I found it very difficult to explain what I was feeling so any conversation about it didn't go too far. 

Regardless, when I get like this, I have to try hard to remind myself, that we agreed, and I must remember, "we are doing this slowly and making it our own" ...



On the positive side, spanking exploration, when we can fit it in, has been tons of fun. Who knew, maybe I am a spanko, one who got sidetracked along the way to ttwd :>)) I find the 'in the bedroom D/s kink' I used to look forward to, not at all on my radar. Instead I look forward to what we're calling JFF (just for fun) hand spankings going on any morning we are able to have our special morning time together.


Another positive ... we are still talking whenever an opportunity arises. The other day, in the afternoon, a sit down was at Frank's suggestion ... "Grab yourself a glass of wine and let's talk", he said. And wow! ... he shared - a lot ... 



First, that he is very much liking ttwd; he appreciates there is a community of like minded people out there providing support and guidance - thank-you again, all of you out there and a special thanks to Meredith and Ella! He emphasized that he doesn't want us to follow anyone else's road but wants us to make 'what we do', our own. 

And he likes reading my posts (he had the blog open on his tablet) ... we had a good discussion about the two Girly Girl posts from last week. It's his opinion that I am overthinking how people will see me which may be true as overthinking is one of my specialties :>)). Overall he really likes the changes he sees in me (with note that some of that change started last year, but I'll save that for another post). 


Then he laid a big one on me, saying there have been times in the not too distant past, he hasn't liked me very much. So much so that he was almost ready to call it quits, but at the time, he didn't feel like there was anywhere he could go so he stuck it out (gulp!) ... I vaguely remember the time period but not the specifics. I am guessing it's not something particular I did but more because I own a pretty mean 'word sabre' and know how to use it. He on the other hand, has a tendency to pull back and avoid confrontation. 


Also, a big share here ... Frank has had more than his share of health issues over the years and I readily admit I make a horrible nurse ... I'm sure there were several times when, instead of a hug and a 'what can I do for you', he got an eye roll and a 'here we go again'. That is until 2015/16 when he had a really serious health crisis and I realized there was a possibility I might lose him ... gut wrenching when you stare that feeling in the face - 2015 was a mind bending year and it carried into 2016 for a few months. When he brought up his wanting to leave yesterday, all I could do was acknowledge it with an heartfelt "I'm so sorry".... and thankfully, we moved on ...


He shared that he gets the theory of ttwd and he believes mentally, he won't have a problem getting his head around HoHing (his Dad was quite HoH ... we don't know about behind closed doors of course, but you certainly knew who had the final word in their house). However, he said he is struggling a bit with sorting out the whens and the hows. He said he has conversations with himself trying to figure out when he should act and what exactly he should do. He is also worried about hurting me or upsetting me and asked for my assurance that I will let him know when something is too much. I assured him I would. In the end, as he was standing at the sink rinsing his wine glass, I put my arms around his waist from behind and pressed my face to his back and said .. 'Remember these 3 words ... 'follow your instinct"


and a PS ... Ella gave me a wonderful book suggestion How to Give a Spanking - Advice From the Receiving End. We've started doing some bedtime reading (me to him) and this is the reading we've started with ... 





and a PSS ... the new bed arrived. It's higher than our old bed ... after a couple of christenings, Frank claims it's a perfect height for ... ahemmm! ... many things :>))

.... thanks for listening ... nj ... xx

29 comments:

  1. Good Morning NJ,
    You're discovering the same thing that Eric and I did. Ttwd opens lines of communication that may not ever have existed without it. I'm so glad Frank has taken not only to the lifestyle, but to talking about and sharing his deepest feelings with you. Sounds like the changes you two are making, including the furniture, are setting the path for a wonderful future.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy ... yes communications lines are certainly now open. However, I have to admit, as one who thought our communications lines were open for a very long time, I was very much taken aback by Frank's admission that he considered leaving. I am glad he told me. It is all the more reason for me to embrace the changes taking place.
      ... nj ... xx

      Delete
  2. This was a lovely post to read....It was wonderful have a whole blog land of friends to support us, and someone to share with...but what we all have to remember is we are all unique,,,and how we do TTWD will also be unique. I was..due to past...a shut down, don't want to talk about it person..whenever a problem arose...it is so much better to let it out and share it.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby ... I am glad you enjoyed the post. It's good to hear from you that ttwd made such a difference for you. I can't overstate how important this blogland community is to newbie ttwd couples. I'm not sure where we would be if I hadn't stumbled across Ami Starsong's blog link on the old ADDS website (which in turn led me to everyone else!)... I am working my way through all the blogs, one at a time, back to front ... (it will take me awhile :>)) ... nj .. xx

      Delete
  3. Nora Jean,

    As you two make your own way, know that we have all been there. Taking your time is excellent and really essential. As Jack and I near five years of ttwd, we recognize the time it takes to do something very different in a long marriage. We are here for you ready to answer your questions, support you and have a good laugh when things get all mixed up because they will.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith ... so comforting to know you are there behind the scene, with your support. I am sure there will be many a mix up to sort through and many questions to be answered ... nj ... xx

      Delete
  4. Hin Nora Jean, nice post, we have all been where you are so don't worry, just keep talking.
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! ... I try to not worry about it all (ie. overthink :>)). I think we are both enjoying our conversations and the closeness they bring ... nj ... xx

      Delete
  5. Hi NoraJean,
    If you changed the names, this post would exactly describe our experiences in ttwd. It has been in our lives for more than 20 years but retirement and an empty nest have allowed our spanko life to expand. My only sage advice is to keep it fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Downunder, Don! ... good to meet you!

      It is pretty amazing, when you think about it, that ttwd couples' experiences are similar but different, across the board. And yes, we will remember to keep it fun! ... nj

      Delete
  6. Don't forget to check your spam - I'm missing again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing in spam, PK ... ??

      Delete
    2. PK, PK ... where are you? ... definitely not in spam this time. Katie? any other ideas? ... nj

      Delete
  7. Hi Nora Jean,

    I enjoyed reading this, what a wonderful reflection on how far you and Frank have come. Slowly but surely, and you are right, every couple discovers their own brand of ttwd.

    Sounds like a very important conversation. It's amazing how much better we communicate and open up with ttwd.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roz ... I am glad you enjoyed the read. I am treasuring the ttwd conversations we have and I am glad I was able to convey just how special this one was ... nj ... xx

      Delete
  8. What a great post, it’s so positive. The talks only help to bring you closer and it sounds like that’s exactly what’s happening in your house right now. It’s wonderful that Frank has embraced his role, and wonderful that you’re loving it.
    What a great read Nora Jean, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed the post, Laurel. I do struggle with how personal I get, especially when it comes to Frank. I don't think he's read this one yet otherwise I think I'd have heard from him about it. He is a VPP (very private person :>)) I was surprised when he agreed to let me blog about ttwd and us. He is, on the other hand, very supportive of my writing ... nj

      Delete
  9. Hi Nora Jean, we all seem to go through this stage where our HoH is worried about hurting us. That was sure a deep and meaningful discussion you had over your wines. Good luck making your own version of TTWD.
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindy ... thank-you for your reassurance. And yes, I am pleasantly surprised and pleased at how readily Frank is willing to sit down and discuss over a glass of wine (or two :>)) xx ... nj

      Delete
  10. This is a wonderful and insightful post, NJ. Your writing is honest and tender. Already, I anticipate hearing from you. :)

    One of the things that ttwd does for us all is to begin to look more closely at ourselves. We remember times when we were not very loving to our partner, and we see how we could have been a better person. You will start to examine your own actions and words like never before. And you will learn when to speak and when it is better to shut up. You will never be perfect, but a year from now, you will look back and see how you have grown.

    Several years ago, I made a pretty little card for Sam that just said,"Be the Boss." I tucked it on the memo board in his office. No one has ever commented on the card, but it is a reminder to Sam that I trust him.

    I love hearing that Frank is liking the beginnings of this new ttwd relationship. The reading is good, but it is just a guide. You and your man will find your own road.

    Hugs From Ella



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, Ella ... such wise words of support ... hugs ... nj

      Delete
  11. This is a heartwarming post, NoraJean; I imagine some of it was hard to write. I love Frank’s idea of sitting down with a glass of wine to talk - a man after my own heart!
    I’m glad you’re having fun on the way to finding your path.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie ... I am glad you enjoyed reading the post. And yes, ... see my reply to Laurel ... it was difficult but good to get it all down on digital paper ... something about writing it all down feels cathartic ... kinda like a good spanking? (I'm not there yet :>))

      FYI ... Frank used to be a beer man until he finally came to the realization (with my observation and prodding) that he might be allergic to beer. He now drinks white wine and has the occasional pint of his favourite beer :>) ... nj ... xx

      Delete
  12. Hello NoraJean,
    Lovely post. Glad you are enjoying the steps of your journey. I am sorry it has taken me so long to stop by. I have not had much time to read of late and am happily trying to catch up a little. :-) So a belated welcome to blogging. Happy to have you here and looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Terps ... thank-you for your welcome. Glad you had an opportunity to stop by. I am certainly happy to be surrounded by such a caring, sharing community! ... nj

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nora Jean, :) I'm SO behind, getting around lately. Seems that I am always in catch-up mode...

    I loved reading this post. It is so honest, and shows such growth as you both work to find your way with ttwd. Made me think back to when Rob and I first started, and I had this huge realization that I was responsible for 50% of where we were at, at the time. It took me a while to come to terms with that in my head. Rob lovingly told me to move on. Now, moving toward six years of amazing changes, things are incredibly different. Yes the spankings. The communication tops it all. Love how you both are sitting down, wine and all, to talk about your path.

    Rob said that the first spanking was the hardest. He hadn't a clue how to go about it all. I know that you found some helpful links in a recent post that I wrote. I now have links to Bonnie's tutorials on my sideboard. Lots of great stuff in there! :)

    You are doing great! You will find your way, and what is just right for you both. Great post! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    PS. Did you figure out where PK's comment went?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie ... nice to hear from you. I get how time seems to just disappear!

      I have been perusing some of your older posts. Everyone writes with a different 'voice'. I/we love your sense of humour and the fun you both seem to have with it all. I just sent an 2014 post to Frank this morning titled 'Never Ask A Spanking Husband What the Count Is' ...

      Re PK's posts ... I found the first one in the Spam folder as you pointed out. The second is still MIA.

      Hope you find the time you need to catch up. Good 'talking' to you! ... nj ... xx

      Delete
  15. Your openness and honesty here about something very personal and very private moved me, NJ. And, it brought back an uncomfortable distant memory that happened before Storm and I started dd stuff. We have addressed and dealt with it and it is something I won't write about. But you did, and you've made me think hard and have given me a little reality check. So, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Windy ... I try to remind myself when I write posts that the only one I am writing for is me ... it is 'my blog' after all. However, it is also nice to know when a reader/fellow blogger is able to relate to, or connect with, something I write ... thanks so much for your comment ... nj ... xx

      Delete